Image credit: NationalGeographic
See, everyone is showing them love!
Today is Manatee Appreciation Day – an opportunity to celebrate these incredible and unique creatures.
Often called ‘sea cows’, these animals inhabit warm coastal waters rich with underwater vegetation.
Check out these Manatee Fun Facts:
- Manatees are migratory, sometimes traveling up the East Coast in the summer months—in 1995 one, named Chessie, has been spotted as far north as Rhode Island.
- Manatees can live up 60 years.
- Their lungs are two-thirds the length of their bodies.
- They can only breath through their nose. Their mouths are for grazing on their primary food source – sea grass.
- It is believed that the legendary “mermaids” spotted by sailors throughout history were actually manatees.
Want to get involved? Use the hashtag #ManateeAppreciationDay or visit SaveTheManatee.org for more ways to help these gentle giants.