Featured Image Credit: Alex Todd
What marine animal is 1 in 100 million?
An albino/technicolor/ ghost lobster, of course!
As most people know animals that are considered albino are completely white or very light in color. Albinism is caused by a genetic defect that reduces or stops the production of melanin.
One lobsterman in Maine, Alex Todd, was lucky enough to catch and see one of these rare creatures on August 24.
The ghostly, pale blue lobster was “definitely weird,” Todd said.
His photos have gone viral on social media.
There are other rare lobsters but an albino is the rarest you can find.
Check out some other lobster statistics:
- Blue lobster – 1 in 2 million
- Live red lobster – 1 in 10 million
- Yellow lobster – 1 in 30 million
- Calico lobster – 1 in 30 million
- Split colored lobster – 1 in 50 million
- Albino lobster – 1 in 100 million