By Hannah Robinson
For those of you who have not had She-Crab Soup, let me explain:
1. Its buttery, creamy goodness will bring you to a warm and relaxed state of mind, even if you’re not actually at the beach breathing in that salty ocean air.
2. Crab is the perfectly tolerable seafood for those who don’t typically go for fish. Get over it; for this dish at least.
“But Mooooom, I don’t like seafood!”
3. It is EASY to make, and pretty darn customizable too if you’re feeling Chef-y. For those of you who have had it and are aware of its rad-ness, cancel your Joe’s Crab Shack plans and hit the grocery. With just a few items you can whip up this meal by following the recipe below.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small white onion, grated
- 1 stalk celery, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 quarts half and half cream
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup sherry wine
Optional Substitutions and Add-ins:
- Bay leaves
- White Crab Stock
- Lemon Juice
- Tomato paste
Melt that butter down in a large saucepan or stockpot over Medium. Stir in (and keep stirrin’) sifted flour until smooth and thick, about 3 minutes.
Throw the onion, garlic, celery, and some Salt n’ Pepa in that ish and cook it ‘til it sweats a little, about 4 minutes.
(Highly recommended that you actually jam out to Salt n Pepa while you cook.)
Bust out the whisk and use it to mix in the half and half cream first, then the chicken broth and heavy cream.
Bring your pot to a simmer before you add about half of the sherry. At this point you also want to add the dill, Worcestershire, and hot sauce. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the soup is about 1/3 its original amount.
Add in the crabmeat and cook for a final 10 minutes; you want your crab to be hot, not overcooked.
Ladle yourself a glorious cup of She-Crab, sprinkle on some fresh chives, splash in some sherry, and you have yourself one hell of a soup. Go ahead and open up a nice white wine while you’re at it, you deserve a reward because whisking is taxing.
Recipe provided by Allrecipes.com